Monday, July 29, 2013

Hello! (Week 46)

Hello Family!!
 
Thanks for the emails!! I loved them and also the pictures!! So cute! I laughed when I read that Asher got lost...poor kid! I'm glad you all had a good time together though. Dad- thanks for the advice. I've gone early to church almost my whole mission so we can talk to people because it builds that trust and friendship. That's sad the elders (in San Francisco, where we were visiting) didn't do that. Thought I had told you but Sis Gubler is fine now I think. She gave me a run for my money, but about the end of the second transfer that she was here she had a huge change of heart. I forgot to mention in my last email but I am now a GRANDMA!!!!! hahaha She is training in her area so that makes me feel old. I have two daughters and a granddaughter for now. I'm sure it will grow even bigger before I go home. I liked your analogy about the love (milk) experience before they can get the gospel (meat). I had never thought about it in that way before but I like it. Looking back on my mission I feel like that is exactly what I have done. I really haven't taught a lot on my mission at all, but I have done so many acts of service and just loving people the whole time to help them know that someone is there for them and that they are important. I really like it. I am having a huge epiphany right now thinking through different things, so thank you!!! I am going to talk to President tomorrow about that since we have President Interviews tomorrow! Woot! Mom- no, you did not tell me about all your trips and travels. Sheesh! ha I want to go with you! Sounds fun though so I am glad that you guys are having a great time on all your adventures.
 
Can you believe that it is almost August already!! Holy Moly that is just crazy! Time is really going by quickly even though some days are so long. I see all these back to school things in the store already and I just laugh cause I don't have to do that again for a while! haha I probably will have forgotten like everything when I do start again but at least I will be a little smarter in the gospel which is more important! :) This past week has been hard for us again trying to get everything going so it's been a definite challenge for me, but that's ok. Sister Jang and I both feel like we are out of our groove here, so we have been trying to figure that out personally and then figure out the area and our companionship. But it will be good though and we are both learning a lot. Yesterday and this morning in studies I finally got some answers for things that I was needing so that was so good. It put me more at ease and reminded me by comforting me that everything is going to be ok and that it will all work out. The Lord is in complete control and knows exactly what we are going through. Only He knows what we need to help us find peace and strength and only He will get us through the struggles of life. I am learning more about the atonement and just how important it is. I love it and am so grateful for it because I love my Savior and all that He does for me! He loves us all infinitely and it never ceases to amaze me that we will never be able to comprehend just how much he loves us. Even when I feel a great amount of love for someone out here that is nothing to the love that He has for each one of us! The gospel is just amazing!!
 
One thing that I decided I wanted to be better at as well is to not complain about things that are not going right at the time or that I'm struggling with. What's the point in that?? Nothing! Although sometimes I like to talk things out cause that helps me figure it out and get answers but talking about something isn't going to help me. So, even though I am struggling right now that's ok because I know that Heavenly Father loves me and that He is looking out for me and knows exactly what I need to learn right now!
 
Oh, so interesting story for you. We have an investigator and she lives in a really sketchy part of our area. But, we went there the first time and they weren't home but their neighbor was. He was like why don't you want to talk to me as he's smoking a cigarette. So, we go over and talk to him. (This is where it gets interesting! haha) He starts talking about how he is not a good person and has done terrible things that we can't even imagine and that he hasn't been to church in a long time. He wants to have a better life though but he doesn't know how to get out of the life he is in right now. He then starts talking to me for like ever asking how old I am, if I can help him, and just so much stuff. Then he wanted to know if I liked tattoos and if I thought they looked good. Then did they make him look good? Did I know that he had over 150 tattoos on his body? (No, I didn't but that was exactly what I was wanting to know! :P ) Then later as Sister Jang was talking he was just like you're cute! And I go after the things I like and don't let anything get in my way. Then he wanted to know if I would be at church. Then he was like well I don't know if I want to do this then if I'm not going to be able to get with you. He kept going on and on and on. It was so awkward, funny, weird, and sad at the same time and we both were just trying to do our best to help him but to also just get out of there. We learned that he is a white supremisist or Nazi or something like that which is not good. I think the best thing though that happened that was just so funny was when Sister Jang was all serious and was talking about the atonement and reading Alma 7 about how Christ has suffered for everything. While she is reading he leans over to me and says I make a lot of money. Money is not a problem if that's what's holding you back. Oh goodness!! It was hilarious although we didn't laugh about it until we were in the car!! We gave him the elders number and finally left, and I felt so badly for him, but that was just one of the weirdest experiences I have had on my mission! The spirit was gone but at the same time I found it so easy to testify to him so strongly about the gospel and I felt the spirit so powerfully. So that was interesting though. Fun times here in Bridgeport!
 
Anyways, I think it will be good as we figure everything out I think. Everyone loves Sister Jang cause she is from Korea, and I will just love and do my best here. I hope everything is well for you all! I will try to send pictures. This computer is a little weird though. Love you and miss you all!!!                                    Love, Sister Higgins

No comments:

Post a Comment