Monday, February 25, 2013

Always in three's as the EMT says :P (Week 24)

Family!!!
 
AHHHHH! I feel like I haven't talked to you all in a while even though this week seemed to go by really fast! At least I actually felt like I was at church for three hours yesterday instead of it flying by! You'll understand my subject title later on but I wanted to respond to some of the things that you wrote to me. By the way, I was laughing at both of your emails and this old lady across from me was kind of annoyed I think. What a grump! I don't like mean old ladies and am not going to become one when I get older! Why can't all the old women just be so happy and friendly, and like cookies and waving! haha Anyways, dad- it's probably that you are just too old that you didn't teach me to change a tire cause I don't ever remember being taught that. Sis VanOrman has not driven at all on the mission so I'm still driving. I don't want to hear your complainings about not having another holiday until May 31st! Try not having one for another year!! haha Sorry about your cholesterol going up. Just keep working at it, but way to drown your sorrows in the chocolate cookie! :) I heard yesterday about the 58 new missions! So crazy and exciting! I have no clue what is going to happen with our mission, but I have a feeling that we will lose parts of our mission because it is so big!! (although we just don't have a ton of people in it!) Maybe that's why the apostle is coming...oh speaking of apostle- Elder Oaks will be coming!!! I'm so excited!!!! Although I was hoping for Holland just cause I love him so much! Oaks is coming with Elder Hallstrom of the presidency of the 70 and a french guy in the presiding bishopric. It should be awesome! All of the missionaries will be invading Charleston! Mom- thanks so much for all the facebook news! I know you're busy and have all your stuff to do as well, so I appreciate what you are doing for me on there. I love hearing the news, but I don't want you to feel overwhelmed or obligated to do it all the time! Please tell Emily congrats and that I'm so excited for her! That's so sad and exciting for Kaitlin Schramm! It's also really interesting too. She was engaged last year, but called it off because she didn't feel right about it. I have a friend in that mission already. Interesting about Lexi too. And, ahhh I'm so excited for Sarah Overson!! Tell her congrats as well and that I hope everything goes well and I wish I could be there! :) I will probably end up returning the shampoo, sorry! I would like the miracle leave in product though. Thanks! As for the oscars, I've never even heard of Argo, but I'm glad Anne Hathaway won! Amazing how out of touch you get with the world when you're out here. I didn't know the Peterson's moved either!! I'm sad! Hopefully the new family is good. I've heard of President Benson's book (A Witness and a Warning) and I guess it's supposed to be amazing, but have never read it. It's on my list to read sometime!
 
Ok, now on to the happenings in good old Dublin! This transfer is going by so quickly that it's worrying me because I feel like I'm running out of time to do and help all that I want too! Hopefully I'm doing what I need to though :) Our numbers are slow going, but we see little increases in different areas each week so that's good. We're trying though. We found a family this past week through a member referral and I am so excited for them! The mom is so prepared and was wanting to read everything that we gave her. There is definite potential with them, but now we just have to do all that we can to help and teach them and listen for the Holy Ghost to prompt us. (easier said than done at times for me, but I'm learning to recognize it better) Saturday was an interesting experience. We went to the park because it was a warmer day so we were hoping that we could find people that we could talk to as we walked the walking trails. We found success! We were passing this one couple on the grass (the girl had just stood up) and I just said 'hi, can I give you a card? We're missionaries' and the guy just said 'oh, gosh' (better language though) turned his head and wouldn't even look at us. I gave it to the girl and we walked away, but I did see the girl talking to the guy kind of scolding him. It was like excuse me for walking on this pathway. We went on and I got over my ill feelings toward him for being rude, and prayed silently for Heavenly Father to help me see others in a new light and that this guy would be able to feel of His love somehow. On our way back as we got closer to where they had been I had a thought that I should talk to him, but brushed it aside...then I saw they were still sitting there. Great. A couple was walking their dog and we were going to pass them almost when we were going to pass the couple on the ground so I just focused myself on the dog couple. As we passed the grass couple he said some awesome things to us as he was coughing which didn't help his standing with me. (sis VanOrman was oblivious to what he did though) We talked to the dog couple for a bit, and then tried to go on our way, but I literally could not keep walking. I felt so weighed down and the only thoughts I had were about this guy and that I needed to talk to him somehow. Then I had another thought come that was just like 'He's a child of God too and deserves this message just as much.' So I flipped around and marched right up to him, and started talking. I apoligized to him, but explained that this is what we do. We've found a greater happiness through Jesus Christ, our Savior, and we just want everyone to have that as well. I said some other things but I can't even remember exactly what, wished them a wonderful day and walked away. They both had big eyes, and were faces were riveted on mine. They had tattooes and piercings, but I saw their potential and love from the Lord for them. Walking away I felt so happy, elated, strong, successful, and knew that I had needed to talk to him to help him. Even if I never see him again I know that I helped him and acted on the Spirit!
 
So for the title, we were at the church wednesday night and were walking out to our car, and watched as one of the members backed into our car with his truck!!! haha Seriously!! We went over and looked at the car and now we have a nice hole in our bumper from the trailer hook and our grate is broken! This is the third thing with this car while I have been here, and I don't think the car likes me. I've decided they just need to put me in a walking area, although my zone leader joked with me that then I would probably lose my shoes! So, we have been having to take pictures of it and try to get some paperwork and stuff figured out for it. I've learned even more that you never know what life is going to throw at you, so just laugh at the moment. No matter what happens you can't really control it, but you can enjoy the moment and learn from it. Just laugh because worrying and stressing with do you no good!
 
Welp, I've got to get off here (D*** language(most recent convert)) but I love you all so much! I am doing super well and am so happy and am just trying to do all that I can! :) Thanks for all your love and support! Hopefully I'm making the Lord and you guys proud by what I'm doing! Love you all!
 
Love, Sister Higgins

No comments:

Post a Comment